Sunday, November 15, 2009

6 ply Earflap Hat Tutorial


This is a fun hat to knit. You start by knitting 2 earflaps and then join them in the round to make the hat. The pattern is started at the I-cord. To make I-cord follow these simple directions (click on the pictures to make them bigger)

I-cord – on the double pointed needles knit your stitches then slip the stitches back to the top of the same needle and pull the wool behind the needle and knit the stitches again. Repeat this until the I-cord is the desired length. In the case of our hat we will knit the I-cord 8"












Once you have knit the I-cord you start the increases for the earfllap. There is one increase stitch at the end of each row. If you follow the pattern it tells how to do this. Once you have 28 stitches then knit 10 rows but still maintain the 3 garter stitches at the edges. These garter stitches help the earflaps lay flat and not roll.




You knit 2 earflaps. If you want them the same you will need to find the place in the yarn that is the same to start both earflaps. I prefer the earflaps to be different just for fun.

Once you have both earflaps knit you add on the extra stitches for the hat. I use an ordinary long tail cast on for this. You can use the tail of the earflap and then join another yarn for this.



You cast on 40 stitches then knit across the 2nd earflap and cast on 28 more. You will want to put these all onto a circular needle unless you are like me and love knitting on long double pointed needles. These are 10" Brittany Birch double pointed needles in the picture - yes we sell them in the store.


Anyways you join the stitches being very careful not to twist the stitches. To join them without twisting I always make sure all of the stitch bottoms are facing the floor before I knit my first stitch. Follow the pattern to knit the ribbing on the hat.


I will show pictures tomorrow of the joined stitches and the ribbing, the hat before decreases and the decresases. Next will be a variety of fun tops for your hat.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I love this hat. You mention a couple times to follow the pattern for more details. Where can I get the pattern? Thanks.

Amanda said...

I love this hat. You mention a couple times to follow the pattern for more details. Where can I get the pattern? Thanks.