Sunday, January 01, 2006

Highlights of 2005

Well I sure had a great year. Looking back it was probably one of my best years. My special needs boy was very healthy ( I can say that now that the year is over and not jinx him). He learned to walk with help and made great progress. He was only in hospital twice ( a record I think) so lets hope 2006 is at least that good.



I had 2 huge highlights in my life this year. Jan. 15th I opened Fun Knits Yarn Shop. This has been very fun. I just finished doing inventory and I still think the store is fun so that is a good sign. Things I have learned in my first year of business.



Always do the paper work right away, I am a hopeless yarn addict ( worse than I originally thought), I am in good company. There are a lot of yarn addicts out there and they are all great people and last but not least there is always room in a 300 sq. foot store for more yarn. I don't have any yarn hanging from the ceiling yet.



Some of my favourite times at the store -getting in new yarn and  knitting outside on nice summer days with Mom and some friends, knitting inside on rainy days with more friends.



I want to thank my Mom and Dad for all of the help and hard work. From unpacking a zillion boxes to ticketing and stocking the shelves when we were getting ready to open, to counting the inventory with me a year later. My Mom works every Wed in the store and while my Mom does the store my Dad works in my yard, he loves to garden and he keeps my yard looking great. They are a huge help and thank you doesn't seem adequate.



I want to thank all my great customers both  in store and eBay - without you I wouldn't have a yarn store. I have made some great knitting friends this year.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The next highlight of my year was June 14th - the birth of my first Grandchild, Meika Layne Shaflik. Well words just can't describe how special she is. After 24 hours of hard labour Meika was born. I was there to hold her right away. It was very rough to see my daughter in labour but very worth being there. We stayed in Vancouver for a few days after she was born to help out and that was great. Since her birth I have had lots of time with her. Megan has come to visit lots and thanks to Instant messenger I see her nearly everyday when she isn't visiting. I have had a lot of fun knitting for Meika, this is my favourite sweater I made her. It is made with Noro Silk Garden out of one of the Noro books. It will fit her a while. I have lots of other knitting plans for her. I have a Baby Bravo sweater in the works that I need to finish soon so it isn't too small before I get it done.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Another higlight of this year was the exclusive colours that Lorna's Laces made for the store. I love both the colours. The Blue one is called Quadra Island  and the brown on is called Fun Knits. I love Lorna's Laces yarn. It is such amazing quality. Image hosted by Photobucket.com



As for my knitting I have a lot of projects on the go as always. The most fun one right now is the Twisted Float Shrug that I am knitting for someone. It is really nice and I hope to get it done in a week or 2. I will post a finished picture. It isn't easy to photograph on the needles as it is so bunched up.



I have the Batik shawl 90% done and should get it done soon too. The Baby Bravo sweater is 1/2 done. I got a lot of knitting done but mostly for customers, Meika and lots of store samples.



My hopes for 2006 are to have a happy healthy New year for all my family and friends and lots of great knitting projects finished.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year!
So nice to read about your shop and its success. Congratulations on Meika and that sweater she is wearing is terrific. Would you believe that I have been in Comox for over 15 years and not been to Quadra Island? Have to fix that in the new year. I will give you a call before I come over. Keep up the good work!