Friday, January 30, 2009

spinners and handspun....

Another great gathering of wonderful spinners at Fun Knits on Tuesday - attentive and focused on their craft.

One spinner prepares her roving by drafting and rolling it into small rounds -- a quiet, peaceful process to observe.  Another spinner deftly sets in motion her drop spindle to create a delicate strand of natural alpaca yarn.
Below is a photo of one spinner's meticulously calculated, spun and plied colour gradations of the Fun Socks roving (in the bag, top left).  I think there are 12 or 13 long thin skeins.  Beautiful work for one of her weavings.
Here are a few samples of the spinner's woven scarves.

Exchanging techniques and ideas.
Below are a couple of photos of my spinning.  The first is Northern Lights "cactus flower" - the spun yarn is actually much brighter and has more depth than is reflected in this photo.  I'm hoping to weave it into fabric which I'll use to make a vest.  The second photo is Northern Lights "forest glade" which I blogged about a few days ago -- I am especially thrilled with the rich, luscious intensity of this yarn, and am not sure if I'll weave or knit with it.

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend full of (take your pick) extra knitting/spinning/weaving time.


No comments: